It’s quarter-final time in the county hurling championship. H/t to deise go deo on AFR for the fixture list.
25/09/10 at Fraher Field (5pm)
Passage v Fourmilewater
26/09/10 at Fraher Field (2pm)
Ballyduff Upper v Lismore
26/09/10 at Fraher Field (3.30pm)
De La Salle v Tallow
26/09/10 at Walsh Park (3.30pm)
Mount Sion v Ballygunner
With the impending demise of the grand tradition that is the pitch invasion, methinks it’s time to start a new tradition: the Come on the Déise County Championship Romantics League. In order of preference, who do we want to see win the County Championship on the basis of the euphoria it will generate? The general, totally flexible rules are as follows:
- how long have you waited? The longer the better. A string of close misses in the recent past helps
- have you undergone a rapid rise from the Intermediate / Junior ranks?
- a slight bias towards counties from way out West to counteract the perception that the city is too dominant
- Mount Sion will always be last. If that ever changes, we’ll know Waterford hurling has undergone radical change.
So without further ado, here is the 2010 list:
- Passage – have never won the title and were unfortunate to run into the Ballygunner/Mount Sion juggernauts when they were last potential winners back in the late 1990’s
- Fourmilewater – have never won it, have never even reached the final. Should be the beneficiaries of the way-out-West rule, but are effectively a dual club with The Nire so they do know what it is like to win. Even if it’s only football *ducks for cover*
- Lismore – a cruel loss last year. Deserve a break
- Tallow – haven’t won it since 1985, whereupon a great team were decimated by the curse of emigration. It’d be positive if that didn’t happen this recession around
- De La Salle – three good reasons: John Mullane, John Mullane, John Mullane
- Ballyduff Upper – the epitome of the team who rose from nowhere, and I have soft spot for them back in the Mossy Walsh days. But they did win it three years ago. Share the wealth, guys
- Ballygunner – defending champions. Barcelona to the Real Madrid of . . .
- Mount Sion – no comment necessary
One of my top two has to go out this weekend, as do one of my bottom two. An exciting weekend in prospect.